CHAPTER EIGHT

p. 55

I had been aware of Ephraim’s heresy as early as – see my work on putting together the Ignatian canon, Lucian’s Passing of Peregrinus and other sources.

[Ephraim’s] sphere of influence was mostly in Asia Minor especially around Ephesus – cf My Against Polycarp

the man I defeated as messiah – i.e. “Simon” called Peter

subordinate me - Knox (1942) suggested that Luke-Acts may have been written in the late second century to replace or counteract Marcion's. On the proofs that Polycarp authored the Acts of the Apostles read my Against Polycarp.

the concept of “zero” in your language –

p. 56

a little Christian - Acts 26:28

p. 57

the apostle who calls himself “the little one” or the “least” - I am the little apostle [cf 1 Cor 15:9] I am the little one not inferior to these so-called apostles [2 Cor 11:5,6] I am the little one and of all God's people this grace was given me [Eph 2:7,8]

its author is being pulled out to perform miracles – the understanding being that Mark is the lad who Jesus asks to pull out the bread

as the emblem of perfection -

little Mark - “Marcion” also means “little Mark.” On Mark being the “little lad” see Shenouda p 42 “St. Mark was still a youth, in the company of other apostles [in the gospel].”
p. 58
Lazarus - I suspect that the so-called “Lazarus” narrative appeared here, i.e., when Jesus is said to have descended into the underworld to retrieve the one called lazeura (the little one). I also think that this is why the Marcionites maintained the ritual as a “baptism of the dead.” Not surprisingly, the “little one” (lazeura) is also described as leper: “At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores” (Luke 16:20).

the one the Savior raised from the underworld to acknowledge his words – see the variant gospel citation in the Acts of John cf.

my gospel

who climbed a sycamore – Luke 19:3 a very “little kid” thing to do

he who is the least - luke 9:48

whoever recognizes – ibid
p. 59

I am not less –

God has given greater honor
1 Cor 12:24

Chose the least - 1 Cor 1:28

I thank thee –

Nevertheless the zero - Mat 11:11

which one of them was the greatest -

Look down - Mat 18:10

The greatest among you - Luk 22:26

Do not be afraid Luke - 12:32

In a little -

He is the least - Mat 13:32

The little is the gate - Mat 7:14

The littlest will be first - Mat 20:16 Peshitta

Many are invited Mat 22:14 - Peshitta

Whoever welcomes a little – Mark 9:37

Whatever you did - Mat 25:40

Whatever you did not do - (Matthew 25:45)

If anyone sins against - Mat 18:6

I tell you the truth -
p. 61
a little child shall lead them – Isaiah





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?